Yeah, we can compare Martin's work with Tolkien, Cornwell, Shakespeare (the most interesting literary comparison in my opinion) etc. But what about the similarities between ASOIAF/GOT and Lost ? Even though Planetos is not supposed to be mysterious to its own habitants, Westeros, Essos and Sothoryos are filled with mystery (just like the island in Lost ), Asshai and The Lands Of Always Winter being examples. Giant wolves mysteriously appearing south of the Wall is like polar bears in the island. We have the most obvious similarity: you know, The Others. People who live in a mysterious place but don't actually know what exactly is happening (the Others/the wildlings). Mysterious being or beings who attack the characters (Black smoke or Man In Black/White Walkers). We have young boy with special powers (Walt/Bran). Baby with some unexplained importance (Aeron/Gilly's baby). Typical protagonist hero and leader who has some purpose to fullfil but he is not sure what exactly for most of the story (Jack/Jon). Female protagonist who killed an abuser who happened to be from her family (stepfather/brother) or at least let it happen (Kate/Daenerys). Complex character with grey morals and with tragic backstory (Sawyer/Jaime), the actors even look similar, I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Holloway was one of the names cogitated to play Jaime in Game Of Thrones . Character who suffers from some deficiency or physical dysfunction and had complicated relationship with his father (Locke/Tyrion). Mystery box and a ton of unanswered questions (and I'm not talking about mysteries that are not central to the plot, but questions that, at least apparently, are important to the story). I'm already imagining Martin opening The Winds Of Winter or A Dream Of Spring with I don't know the Lord Of Light eating fish and talking to The Other and they having some philosophical and existencial debate. "You trying to prove me wrong aren't you?" , "You are wrong" ,"Am I?" . Obviously I think Martin can handle mystery much better than Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse (and obviously much better than D&D), but I find these similarities interesting and funny, I can understand why the show was the next blockbuster of American Television after the absence of Lost . And, yeah, the parallels are not 100% perfect, but you can see the similarities.
Submitted May 15, 2021 at 07:50PM by ludwigritcher752 https://ift.tt/3fpadCG
No comments:
Post a Comment